Take Your Book Club to the Ballet!
Calgary and Edmonton book clubs are invited to read along with us and then attend the ballet at a discounted rate!
When Les Liaisons Dangereuses was first published in 1782, it was four volumes of pure scandal. Today you can read the epistolary work in its English translation (a mere 448 pages in the Penguin Classics edition) or you can watch the story unfold in ballet, two acts within 140 minutes.
We at Alberta Ballet hope you find time to enjoy this literary masterpieces in both forms.
Our Artistic Director, Jean Grand-Maitre spent a year studying Choderlos de Laclos' Dangerous Liaisons before re-imagining it as a ballet. It's a provocative work. M. Grand-Maitre makes a strong case that the themes of power and subversion driving de Laclos' narrative continue to play out in the world today.
So we've crafted a special offer: a Dangerous Liaisons Study Package.
Book Clubs who take up the challenge will access the following benefits:
· 15 book specific discussion questions,
· A 25% group rate* to Alberta Ballet's Dangerous Liaisons,
· A chance to win an evening with Jean Grand-Maitre at your book club, and
· A chance to win a backstage tour* at the Jubilee Auditorium when Alberta Ballet performs Dangerous Liaisons
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to enter your book club. To participate, we need the following details:
- When your club will meet next,
- The timeline your club has to complete the book,
- How many people are in your club,
The winning club can schedule M. Grand-Maitre to visit anytime before Nov 27. This leaves the option open to see the ballet before discussing the book. We will hold the first draw three weeks before Dangerous Liaisons opens in Calgary, and another on October 25. Edmonton and Calgary book clubs will be included in both draws.
Contact us today: email@example.com