Total Run Time: 1 hr, 57 min
ACT I: 47 min • Intermission: 20 min • ACT II: 50 min
The Jubilee doors open 90 minutes before the performance.
What better way to celebrate the holiday season than with Alberta Ballet’s annual production of The Nutcracker? The Nutcracker is a treasured holiday tradition for audiences of all ages.
In this beloved family tale, Klara and her Nutcracker travel an unknown kingdom, battle the dark magic of the Rat Tsar and dance with the courtiers of the Sugar Plum Fairy. 120 incredible performers bring Klara’s journey to life, decked out in stunning costumes and accompanied by a live orchestra. Join us as the Jubilee stage transforms into an enchanting fantasy world. The magic of live performance has never been as vibrant and dazzling as it is in this production.
Featuring live music by Edmonton Symphony Orchestra and Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra.
The magic begins the moment you step through the Jubilee doors.
Plan to arrive early to take part in Nutcracker-themed activities throughout the lobby! Lobby doors open 90 minutes before curtain time.
- Story Time is back in the lower lobby, where community guests read the story of The Nutcracker. It's a great introduction for those seeing the ballet for the first time.
- *New in 2023* Ballet Buddies. We’re inviting our youngest audience members to try a short dance class. Ballet Buddies is best suited for ages 5-9, but we welcome those who are a little younger or older. We expect classes will fill up quick, so be sure to register soon.
(Note: we’ve been unable to schedule Ballet Buddies at all performances. Please check the sign-up sheet for performance dates featuring this activity.)
- Our Photo Booth features the Snow Tsarina in her sleigh. It's a perfect holiday photo opportunity for you and your loved ones.
- We’re also back with a full Alberta Ballet Boutique. Stop by to pick up a souvenir or complete your holiday shopping.
The Nutcracker is prepared each year with an eye to inspire the youngest audience members and to create cherished memories and traditions for your family to last a lifetime. New surprises await in this beloved favourite!
- CHOREOGRAPHY: Edmund Stripe
- MUSIC: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- ORIGINAL SET AND COSTUME DESIGN: Zack Brown
- NEW COSTUMES (2022): Alberta Ballet, Timberlake Studios and Lisa Logan